Re: Defining the future of the packager workflow in Fedora

Miro Hrončok wrote:
> Your example is not valid. This is not a mass change, this was an
> individual change presented to the package maintainers via a PR that was
> not merged by me:
>
> https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/qt5-qtwebengine/pull-request/3
>
> Had there been a "please, make it build on F29" comment, I would have
> adapted it.

Well, your pull request did not state anywhere that it introduces a
construct that only works on F30 and newer, so I don't think it is fair to
shift the blame to the person who approved it (Rex Dieter). Your description
only stated "make it work both before and after python2 retirement", which
sounds as if it were fully backwards compatible.

It should be up to the person making this type of changes to test it on all
supported releases. Sure, this makes it harder to make packaging changes
across many packages, but IMHO, that is actually a beneficial side effect.
The goal should really be to not require this kind of changes at all,
because it also means that third-party packages have to adjust to them.
Instead, the packaging should remain backwards-compatible.

And in this case, I wonder whether the conditional is even needed or whether
we could just use the F29 version everywhere. As long as python27 Provides:
python2 (and it should!), I don't see why BuildRequires: python2 would not
be good enough and a file BuildRequires is needed. And python2-rpm-macros
are needed as BuildRequires because the specfile also uses %{__python2} in
the snippets. (Previously, the package had BuildRequires: python2-devel,
which drags in both python2 and python2-rpm-macros.) Something changed in
F30 to make python2-rpm-macros dragged in by default, this was not the case
in F29.

        Kevin Kofler