Re: Impact of dropping QEMU emulation on 32-bit hosts ? (~Fedora 33)

On Fri, Sep 27, 2019 at 8:30 AM Daniel P. Berrangé <berrange@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 27, 2019 at 01:26:09PM +0200, Jun Aruga wrote:
> > > Does anyone know of, or have, any critical/important use cases that would
> > be disrupted by QEMU dropping 32-bit *host* support ? If so, let me know
> > here & I can forward feedback on. Or feel free to go direct to QEMU thread
> > upstream.
> >
> > I am not a real user of ARM 32-bit. I just checked information for ARM
> > 32-bit (armv7) use cases.
> >
> > ## Raspberry Pi
> >
> > > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi
> > > The earlier V1.1 model of the Raspberry Pi 2 used a Broadcom BCM2836 SoC with a 900 MHz 32-bit, quad-core ARM Cortex-A7 processor, with 256 KB shared L2 cache.
> > >
> > > https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspberry-pi-2-on-sale/
> >
> > It seems that the version 1.1 is the last model for 32-bit, and the
> > announcement was 5 August 2015.
> > I assume a considerable number of people using ARM 32-bit Raspberry Pi.
>
> Right, but I'm rather sceptical that people are running QEMU on the
> 32-bit RPi boards. I might be less surprised about the Linux userspace
> emulation being used, vs full VM, since the former is lower overhead.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but since the Raspberry Pi performs quite
badly as a 64-bit device for the moment, I've used it with Fedora
armv7hl instead of aarch64. I personally use the user emulation
mostly, but I know of a couple of cases where system emulation is used
(mainly for buildsys stuff).

> > ## Running Linux on smart phone device.
> >
> > Some articles about it.
> >
> > * https://developers.redhat.com/blog/2017/03/16/installing-linux-on-an-android-phone/
> > * https://www.quora.com/How-can-I-install-Fedora-on-my-smartphone
>
> Perhaps I'm wrong, but I got the impression most mid range & above Android
> phones are now 64-bit ARM.

They are.

> > > https://android.stackexchange.com/a/202022
> >
> > ARMv7 (32-bit) was 98.1% in entire share of android hardware on March 2017.
>
> I think things changed alot in smartphones over the last two years,
> though admittedly my experiance is biased towards my part of the world.

ARMv7 still dominates by a wide margin outside of North America,
Western Europe, Japan, and Australia.

> > > https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2019-09/msg06216.html
> > > Eventually this public don't need edge QEMU, it might keep using QEMU
> > v5.0.stable until all NAS/embedded devices are 64-bit...
> >
> > For example, how about releasing compat-qemu50 RPM if upstream will
> > drop armv7 on qemu 6.x?
> > It's like compat-openssl10 RPM for openssl (version 1.1) RPM.
> >
> > Maybe if some RPM packages need armv7 support, they can use
> > compat-qemu50 conditionally in the spec file.
>
> I'd be pretty strongly against providing any outdated QEMU builds in
> Fedora given the high frequency of security updates that need to be
> dealt with.

I agree here. It's probably just better to convince upstream to not
drop 32-bit host support.