Re: Major update to LLVM appearing in F31 without any communication, appears to violate update policy

On Thu, 2019-09-26 at 20:51 +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:

> OTOH we also want F31 to work with current hardware when it ships;
> and llvm is kinda special in this regard, its main use in Fedora
> is inside the graphics stack and mesa needs llvm9 to support the
> AMD Radeon 5700 series cards which have been out for a while now.

In my mail I asked if there was a sufficient reason to justify the
major version upgrade. That would be a candidate.

> So the new mesa update you point to depending on the new llvm is
> by design.

If so, nothing about the update or the package build makes it obvious.
The mesa and llvm builds and updates were not done by the same person.
The changelog on the mesa build is simply "Update to 19.2.0", and the
entire text of the update description is the same.

>  One thing which did go wrong here IMHO is that the
> new llvm and mesa really should be a single update in bodhi.

Yes, they should.

> Did I understand correctly that llvm is not even in bodhi yet?

No, you didn't. I already commented on the details of the update
process on the relevant updates - which are
https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2019-52ecb9952b and
https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2019-b83bd6b46c - but
that was not really what I wanted to discuss in this thread.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey