Re: Estimate the size of iso file based on a kickstart file

On Thu, Sep 19, 2019 at 08:10:21PM +0800, Kalpa Welivitigoda wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Given a kickstart file (flatten) and we intend to make an iso using
> it, is there a tool or service by which we can estimate the size of
> the final iso (based on the packages defined in the kickstart file)
> before actually creating the iso?

AFAIK we don't have any stand-alone tools to do that, which is probably
a good thing since trying to estimate the installed size usually ends up
being very much not exact. In lorax-composer I have this:

https://github.com/weldr/lorax/blob/master/src/pylorax/api/projects.py#L288

which does the raw estimation. But then there is this:

https://github.com/weldr/lorax/blob/master/src/pylorax/api/compose.py#L738

Which adds 20%

But wait, that's not all! Anaconda then adds more:

https://github.com/rhinstaller/anaconda/blob/master/pyanaconda/payload/dnfpayload.py#L879

The reason behind all of this fudging is that we really don't know the
exact sizes of the installed packages, and it can be influenced by block
size, filesystem type, etc.

Even with all this added extra space I have occasionally seen it run out
of space (usually when trying to do a smaller install than a bigger one,
where the room for error is smaller).

The 'best' way to do what you want is to put together your kickstart,
give it a big / partition, do a build and see how much free space there
is, and trim it down. But not too far :)

Brian

--
Brian C. Lane (PST8PDT) - weldr.io - lorax - parted - pykickstart