Re: Fedora 31 System-Wide Change proposal (late): No i686 Repositories

On Monday, September 9, 2019 6:42:35 AM MST Solomon Peachy wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 09, 2019 at 06:22:46AM -0700, John M. Harris Jr. wrote:
> > The system I'm sending this email from only has 4 GiB of memory in
> > total. Does that mean that this system makes ASLR completely
> > ineffective? Should this arch also be removed from Fedora, because of
> > that?
>
> *Address Space* is not the same as *Physical Memory*.
>
> I suggest you educate yourself on the difference between the two, as
> that distinction is perhaps the fundamental underpinning of memory
> management.
>
>  - Solomon

I don't think you understand what I was getting at. Cheap joke, essentially.

ASLR is only one part of the many layers of security in modern systems. It's
not worth getting rid of support for one of the most popular architectures
just because ASLR may be slightly less effective than on other architectures.