Re: translucent gnome top bar gone in F31?

On Monday, September 9, 2019 4:32:45 AM MST Ernestas Kulik wrote:
> On Mon, 2019-09-09 at 04:26 -0700, John M. Harris Jr. wrote:
>
> > On Monday, September 9, 2019 3:07:54 AM MST Felipe Borges wrote:
> >
> > > On Mon, Sep 9, 2019 at 11:56 AM John M. Harris Jr. <
> > > johnmh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> > > https://ometer.com/preferences.html
> >

> > This is precisely the issue with GNOME entirely. It assumes the user
> > shouldn't
> > have a choice, that some designers know best.
>

> Yes, precisely *your* issue. I’d rather someone think for me as far as
> defaults go and not give me a quest to set everything up just right
> every time I install the DE.
>
> --
> Ernestas Kulik
> Associate Software Engineer - Base Operating Systems (Core
> Services/ABRT)
> Red Hat Czech, s.r.o.

Decisions such as this, inspired by the idea that *somebody* knows best, and
it just works for everyone, are precisely why I won't be able to deploy RHEL 8
until KDE is available through EPEL or another repo. Heck, the only reason I
can even run RHEL 8 on my test box is because I manually compiled KDE for it.

This is incredibly common in GNOME, where people just make a decision and try
to enforce it on the users. Things everyone hates, like moving the mouse into
the top-left corner opening some weird menu, and the only way to disable it
being third party software. (Something I've had to provide a fix by default for
on my RHEL 7 deployments, where some of my users prefer GNOME), and where
users request that I install gnome-tweak-tool for them so that they can make
basic preference changes which just aren't available otherwise.