Re: New version of Copr

Dne 04. 09. 19 v 18:17 John Harris napsal(a):
> Has the new version been tested without "discussion"s? If not, I would imagine
> it'd be much faster with that feature disabled.

Yes. It has been tested with and without discussions. Discussion are not on front pages and does not affect loading time
of front page.
They are presented on project detail page and use async javascript and discussion is being loaded after the page itself
has been shown. I.e., it does not have affect the speed.

> Does the inefficiency of that feature outweigh its usefulness? Why does it
> rely on Discourse for that feature?

Because Discourse is the best. I considered Disqus, but it is not open source (which we want to support), we considered
to code something directly in Copr, but we decided to not reinvent wheel and spend our time delivering something unique,
which have bigger benefits. We considered maintaining our own instance, but again that would consume some engineer who
can do something more useful.
Yet, we want to allow users to share their feedback about projects. Between them, between the maintainer as they very
often contact us to do something with the content of the projects or file bug reports against Copr to do something with
a failing application built in Copr. And we are closing it because we are not the packagers.
As Red Hat is already paying for Fedora Discourse instance, we decided to utilize this as there will be no additional
cost and Copr is in fact already part of Fedora ecosystem.

--
Miroslav Suchy, RHCA
Red Hat, Associate Manager ABRT/Copr, #brno, #fedora-buildsys