Re: Fedora Workstation and disabled by default firewall

On Wed, Aug 28, 2019 at 9:36 AM John Harris <johnmh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Essentially disabling the firewall falls under having a "bad design for
> everyone else". Disabling the firewall is something that could be considered
> hostile to the user.

This is hyperbole, and turning up the volume isn't going to make
anyone go "oh, ok, now I see your point, it's hostile and we don't
want to do that, let's change it" as if literally everyone reading
this is some kind of moron.

Your position is shown to be weak if you have to use this distinctly
non-objective tactic designed to evoke an emotional response in the
reader. All you're doing is casually dismissing one side of a
balancing act and then claiming the result as proof the policy should
change. Guess what? Saying things does not make them true.

You should try to understand all of these arguments have happened
before, and if you really want a change to happen, you need a produce
a compelling new arguments. Did the previous working group
misunderstand something previously? Has new information come to light?
Has the GUI firewall app made UI/Ux improvements that might sway the
working group to re-evaluate?

By all means shout more. And be ignored. Or do the hard work and put
together a deliberate and compelling argument.

> I fail to see how the comparison to MacOS applies here.

Tons of installations. 1% of their user base dwarfs ours. If firewall
disabled by default were so hideously flawed, there'd be a million
users getting malware, and we'd hear about it including and autopsy
report saying, effectively, Apple's crazy because their firewall would
have prevented this. But that isn't happening.

Windows is likewise a fair contra example, but I can't assess to what
degree their firewall is a security strategy that helps prevent
infections, versus reputation repair. And that is in some sense where
we are right now. Do we have examples of penetrated systems that the
firewall would have prevented? This is a real problem, a theoretical
problem that can be tested unambiguously, or is it purely
hypothetical? It's definitely a problem when people's applications
silently fail to work in weird ways and is non-obvious that the cause
is the firewall.

--
Chris Murphy