Re: No longer supporting mailing lists:

On Monday, August 26, 2019 8:15:07 AM MST Markus Larsson wrote:
> On 26 August 2019 16:04:12 CEST, "Gerald B. Cox" <gbcox@xxxxxx> wrote:
>
> >> On 26 August 2019 14:27:53 CEST, "Gerald B. Cox" <gbcox(a)bzb.us&gt;
> >
> >wrote:
> >

> >> Was it a lengthy conversation where you needed context from earlier
> >
> >posts?
> >
> >> Was is easily at hand right in your email client?
> >>

> >> That's exactly my point. The advantages listed are mere stated
> >
> >opinions. Except
> >
> >> editing and community moderation which are actual features.
> >>

> >> Writing this off as me being hostile to change is not only wrong but
> >
> >also rather snarky.
> >
> >> Did you intend that?
> >>
> >> Every time discourse is brought up it seems that anyone asking what
> >
> >will be better over
> >
> >> maillinglists are accused of being hostile to change, this time is
> >
> >not different.
> >

> >I didn't mention you, I simply stated that there are people who are
> >hostile and resistant to change.  That is a fact... you only need do a
> >simple google search every time there is a change and some people
> >always complain.  In fact, the recent changes to Firefox extensions
> >come to mind.  You had people angrily say they would ditch Fx, etc.
> >etc. etc.  Such tactics are IMO not constructive.
>

> The only reason to bring it up when replying to me is that you think it
> applies here. So while you explicitly did not mention me there's not very
> many other ways it can be interpreted.
> >
> >The best way to solve this is to create a duplicate discussion group on
> >Discourse for Development and monitor it's use.  The only way people
> >are going to be able to decide if it's good for them or not is to try
> >it.
>

> So the best way is to sneak it in?
> That is exactly how one introduces new services if one wants them to be
> impossible to back away from. This will of course split the community in a
> way that will lead to flame war. I think that should be avoided.

> It's much better to make a dummy thread long enough so that those who wants
> can test the platform before this list is fragmented.

> BR

The problem is that, whenever we "try it", whoever is leading that movement to
try something is generally the one that winds up making the decisions, which
is what happened with CommOps. CommOps moved to Discourse, despite the myriad
of issues listed during both our weekly (at the time) meetings and on the
Discourse list itself.

--
John M. Harris, Jr. <johnmh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Splentity