Re: Fedora Workstation and disabled by default firewall

On 8/26/19 11:35 AM, Dan Williams wrote:
On Mon, 2019-08-26 at 09:15 -0400, Robert Marcano wrote:
On 8/26/19 9:07 AM, mcatanzaro@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Well the thing is, blocknig ports tends to break applications that
want
to use those ports. We're not going to do that, period. It also
doesn't
really accomplish anything: either your app or service needs
network
access and you have whitelisted it (in which case the firewall
provides
no security), or it needs network access and you have not
whitelisted it
(in which case your firewall breaks your app/service). In no case
does
it increase your security without breaking your app, right? Unless
you
have malware installed (in which case, you have bigger problems
than the
firewall). Or unless you have a vulnerable network service
installed
that you don't want (in which case, uninstall it).

This is a reasonable point of view, until you notice Linux desktops
evironments don't provide applications with a method to detect if
they
are running on a private network or not (See Windows Home, Office,
Internet network settings).

Then a non technical user start Rythmbox, enable music sharing, and
it
works perfectly on their home network but then decides to buy a WAN
card/USB stick and suddenly all the music is being shared to the
world.

I wish NetworkManager could do something about these situations,
maybe
the default should be the public zone for interfaces that receive
public
IP addresses.

The idea was originally that applications like Rhythmbox or desktop
sharing or printer sharing or whatever would do something intelligent
with the currently active firewalld zone that NM puts the connected
interface into. eg if the zone was "public" Rhythmbox wouldn't enable
sharing.

But NM isn't setting connections to "public" if the default is FedoraWorkstation, it is only public if the user changed the default for that connection via CLI or nm-connection-editor (GNOME Settings doesn't have that option either). Maybe it should do it automatically, and show a notification to the user to allow it to be on a non public firewalld zone

Unfortunately applications didn't do that, and the mechanism to tie all
these things together (assigning zone to connections, having
applications know about zones, what happens if you're not running
firewalld, etc) were never fully planned out or implemented.

Dan

So if you want to change the firewall settings, you'd need to
completely
rethink how the firewall works. And nobody seems interested in
doing
that. We could e.g. have a list of apps th at are allowed network
access, but then we'd need some form of attestation so apps can't
impersonate each other. So only sandboxed (flatpaked) apps could
use
this hypothetical new firewall. And we surely don't want to have
yes/no
permission prompts, so we can't really ask the user "do you want
your
app to access the network?" (the user will almost always say yes).
I'm
not really sure what design would even work.

Avoiding unnecessary network services makes more sense.

On Mon, Aug 26, 2019 at 3:45 PM, Alexander Ploumistos