Re: Fedora Workstation and disabled by default firewall

On Mon, 2019-08-26 at 09:15 -0400, Robert Marcano wrote:
> On 8/26/19 9:07 AM, mcatanzaro@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > Well the thing is, blocknig ports tends to break applications that
> > want
> > to use those ports. We're not going to do that, period. It also
> > doesn't
> > really accomplish anything: either your app or service needs
> > network
> > access and you have whitelisted it (in which case the firewall
> > provides
> > no security), or it needs network access and you have not
> > whitelisted it
> > (in which case your firewall breaks your app/service). In no case
> > does
> > it increase your security without breaking your app, right? Unless
> > you
> > have malware installed (in which case, you have bigger problems
> > than the
> > firewall). Or unless you have a vulnerable network service
> > installed
> > that you don't want (in which case, uninstall it).
>
> This is a reasonable point of view, until you notice Linux desktops
> evironments don't provide applications with a method to detect if
> they
> are running on a private network or not (See Windows Home, Office,
> Internet network settings).
>
> Then a non technical user start Rythmbox, enable music sharing, and
> it
> works perfectly on their home network but then decides to buy a WAN
> card/USB stick and suddenly all the music is being shared to the
> world.
>
> I wish NetworkManager could do something about these situations,
> maybe
> the default should be the public zone for interfaces that receive
> public
> IP addresses.

The idea was originally that applications like Rhythmbox or desktop
sharing or printer sharing or whatever would do something intelligent
with the currently active firewalld zone that NM puts the connected
interface into. eg if the zone was "public" Rhythmbox wouldn't enable
sharing.

Unfortunately applications didn't do that, and the mechanism to tie all
these things together (assigning zone to connections, having
applications know about zones, what happens if you're not running
firewalld, etc) were never fully planned out or implemented.

Dan