Re: Fedora Workstation and disabled by default firewall

On Mon, 26 Aug 2019 at 15:25, Robert Marcano <robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 8/26/19 9:07 AM, mcatanzaro@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> >
> > Well the thing is, blocknig ports tends to break applications that want
> > to use those ports. We're not going to do that, period. It also doesn't
> > really accomplish anything: either your app or service needs network
> > access and you have whitelisted it (in which case the firewall provides
> > no security), or it needs network access and you have not whitelisted it
> > (in which case your firewall breaks your app/service). In no case does
> > it increase your security without breaking your app, right? Unless you
> > have malware installed (in which case, you have bigger problems than the
> > firewall). Or unless you have a vulnerable network service installed
> > that you don't want (in which case, uninstall it).
>
> This is a reasonable point of view, until you notice Linux desktops
> evironments don't provide applications with a method to detect if they
> are running on a private network or not (See Windows Home, Office,
> Internet network settings).

That's a very good point. When Windows connects to a new network, it
asks whether it's a home connection (and then you want to share
resources in the network) or it's a public connection (and everything
should stay private). And I think that, if the user simply ignores the
notification, the default is to consider it a public network (not 100%
sure though). That's a good policy I think, and it would be great if
NetworkManager could do that.

I understand mcatanzaro's point of view, but it's quite narrow,
because laptops not only connect to home networks to share resources,
but also to many insecure public WiFis. I don't think we should rely
on chasing upstream developers to behave in a *possibly* insecure
environment. The system should abstract this for them and set proper
firewall rules.

Iñaki