Re: Fedora Workstation and disabled by default firewall

On 8/26/19 9:27 AM, mcatanzaro@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
On Mon, Aug 26, 2019 at 4:15 PM, Robert Marcano <robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
This is a reasonable point of view, until you notice Linux desktops evironments don't provide applications with a method to detect if they are running on a private network or not (See Windows Home, Office, Internet network settings). Then a non technical user start Rythmbox, enable music sharing, and it works perfectly on their home network but then decides to buy a WAN card/USB stick and suddenly all the music is being shared to the world. I wish NetworkManager could do something about these situations, maybe the default should be the public zone for interfaces that receive public IP addresses.

I don't have a good answer to this, other than to complain to the Rhythmbox developers. That's extremely bad if it's possible to accidentally share your music to the world.

This isn't entirely an application issue. Let me give you another example with an application build the GNOME way.

1) Setup Vino to share you desktop without a password on a trusted network, GNOME Settings ask you for the network connection, you allow it for "Wired Connection 1" 2) Suddenly you need to connect a wired connection that gives public IP addresses.
3) Then your VNC server is shared to the world

You may think these thing don't happen, but yes it happen. My dumb ISP every time to get support they ask you to connect directly to the modem, that they don't support any other type of connection (WiFi). I know it is BS, but people comply.

For the application the Wired Connection 1 is the same connection as before, but the user doesn't know, don't expect user to know they need to stop sharing it, they will think this works as with WiFi SSID names that are different.

Michael