Re: Bug 1742953 - No Screensaver/Powerdown after Inactivity at LUKS Password Prompt [FutureFeature]

On Mon, Aug 19, 2019 at 2:14 PM Samuel Sieb <samuel@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 8/19/19 3:42 AM, Artur Iwicki wrote:
> >> Do you have OLED monitor? Generic LCD/LED monitors does not suffer from this issue. I never shut down my monitor for years and it works fine.
> > The monitor damage is not the issue here; it's just a possible side effect of the issue. As Chris mentioned earlier - consider a battery-powered system, which will just wait for the password until the battery discharges completely. This behaviour simply isn't sensible, in my opinion, and - forgive the phrase - smells of "works for us, so why bother?" thinking.
>
> That doesn't make any sense.  When are you going to have a laptop that
> isn't plugged in do a reboot with no one watching it?  It doesn't matter
> whether or not the screen is blanked, the laptop is going to run out of
> battery anyway.

I reboot, and I get distracted.

Or while power is connected, and one time booted in Windows, I walk
away. Later, as Windows is prone to doing, it wakes up, does updates
at 1am and reboots... to an indefinite Plymouth screen, for the entire
weekend. Or while I've gone on vacation for a week.

There are many or's. And they don't even matter. On the face of it,
stopping indefinitely mid-startup should be considered the edge case
that requires customization. Not the general use case.

I'm not certain it matters, but I'm curious how Windows and macOS deal
with this same scenario. I'd be surprised if they just wait forever,
in particular if power is disconnected on laptop.

--
Chris Murphy