Re: Bug 1742953 - No Screensaver/Powerdown after Inactivity at LUKS Password Prompt [FutureFeature]

On 8/19/19 4:14 PM, Samuel Sieb wrote:
On 8/19/19 3:42 AM, Artur Iwicki wrote:
Do you have OLED monitor? Generic LCD/LED monitors does not suffer from this issue. I never shut down my monitor for years and it works fine.
The monitor damage is not the issue here; it's just a possible side effect of the issue. As Chris mentioned earlier - consider a battery-powered system, which will just wait for the password until the battery discharges completely. This behaviour simply isn't sensible, in my opinion, and - forgive the phrase - smells of "works for us, so why bother?" thinking.

That doesn't make any sense.  When are you going to have a laptop that isn't plugged in do a reboot with no one watching it?  It doesn't matter whether or not the screen is blanked, the laptop is going to run out of battery anyway.

Imagine someone's working on a wireless-connected laptop powered off the battery, and deciding to run updates before taking a break. They expect the laptop to suspend after a period of inactivity---but since the updates require a reboot, the user finds a discharged laptop upon returning.

Even a simpler case would be someone turning on their laptop and walking away on an unexpectedly long errand. Raise your hand if your errands are always short.

It's true that these cases are relatively rare and, unlike unexpected out-of-battery shutdown during normal operation, wouldn't lead to data loss due to unclean filesystem, so it's not a tragedy if there are insurmountable technical reasons preventing inactivity suspend while booting, but still, the right thing to do  is to suspend on inactivity in all cases.

My recent experience with Fedora on laptops is very good---I essentially don't need to worry about manually shutting down the system when I am not using it. The batteries last for days if not weeks in sleep states. All corner cases that don't suspend on inactivity are a violation the principle of least surprise.