Re: Bug 1742953 - No Screensaver/Powerdown after Inactivity at LUKS Password Prompt [FutureFeature]

Vitaly Zaitsev via devel wrote on Mon, Aug 19, 2019 at 09:31:33AM +0200:
> On 19.08.2019 8:18, Joseph D. Wagner wrote:
> > It is intended to display the same image on the screen continuously
>
> Yes. User must enter LUKS password to continue booting. System cannot be
> booted until all drives from /etc/fstab will be unlocked and
> successfully mounted.
>
> Screensaver cannot be started on such early stage, because OS is not
> even loaded.

He's not asking for pretty moving pictures, just blanking the screen is
fine.
the tty can do it just fine tunable in
/sys/module/kernel/parameters/consoleblank so this really is a plymouth
bug to me, it should have everything it needs for this embedded in the
initrd to be able to do that before the OS fully loads.

> > My issue is with displaying the same password prompt forever, causing screen burn-in.
>
> Do you have OLED monitor? Generic LCD/LED monitors does not suffer from
> this issue. I never shut down my monitor for years and it works fine.

LCD definitely has this issue - display the same image forever and the
pixels will remember it / you will be left with an overlay of the
previously still image.

I'm not sure if the shiniest newest generations of LCD have the problem
or not, but I've had multiple generations (latest being 5ish years old)
and they all have the issue - for example the top/bottom bars of my
window managers are burned in and the rare times I leave it on white-ish
background I can still see them, because it's just always there and
hardly ever changes.

It's unnoticeable most of the time but definitely present, if the luks
prompt stays up for a few weeks I'm sure it'll be visible.
(It's probably fine overnight, but it can't hurt the electricity bill
anyway)

--
Dominique