Re: RFC: Drop lz4-static

On 14/08/2019 23:08, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:

> DS> As I can see it, there is little benefit of removing lz4-static.
>
> Isn't that entirely the decision of those maintaining the package?  It's
> still completely reasonable if they want to remove it for no other
> reason than it eliminates ten lines from the specfile.  The question was
> whether there is any pressing reason to refrain from removing it.

Sure is!  Byt I still don't think there's any benefit caring much about an
additional sub-package in such a tiny package.

In this case the changelog is actually 2/3 of the complete spec file.  And
these 10-11 lines (including blank lines) related to the -static subpackage
are roughly 14% of the "non-changelog" section of the .spec file.

But as I said earlier, for static libraries, it is harder to get some kind of
usage statistics who uses them or not, as you only need that library during
the compile time.   So combine that with the effort of reducing the spec file
with 10-11 lines, I'm not sure it's such a big difference in maintainability
or the efforts required to keep them around.

Just my 2 cents.

--
kind regards,

David Sommerseth