Re: efivar and mokutil long standing FTBFS

On 13. 08. 19 19:43, Peter Robinson wrote:
Firstly they're just FTBFS in F-30.... This isn't exactly long
standing, if it was F-26 like some that were retired I could
completely understand that statement but F-30 is pushing the rhetoric
a bit here.

It has been half a year without any response. Hence it is long standing.
You may think that half a year is not long standing. Fine. Sorry for using that language when I should have said "6 months old" instead.

efivar and mokutil fail to build from source. They have been retired, then
unretired and they still fail to build from source.

What do you mean by retired and unretired and still FTB?

They have been retired as part of the FTBFS policy.
Then they have been unretired and retagged because it broke the compose.
Yet they still have not been rebuilt.

Following the policy:
https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/fesco/Fails_to_build_from_source_Fails_to_install/

I kindly ask the maintainers to rebuild them or orphan them if they cannot take
care of them.

Maybe you're not aware of this thing called RHEL-8, maybe the
maintainer has been snowed under and as they stand they work as
intended and it's not exactly a complete drama if they're not fixed
right away. Or maybe he's drowning in email from the 8+ pointless
repetitive bug updates that have been added to the bugs.

I believe that if a maintainer doesn't have 5 minutes to say "I'm swamped with RHEL 8 (or whatever else), please, can somebody help me with those FTBFS" or even "I don't care" they are pretty much no-maintainers. Getting the FTBFS fixed in 6 months is not right-away. If you find the repetitive bug updates pointless, feel free to propose a better approach.

I happen to know he's working on updates to them, but he also has
other priorities.

I don't happen to know that. The lack of communication is making it hard. For what i know they are not even aware of this issue.

Don't we all have other priorities? Is it so hard to communicate about out priorities openly?

There really has to be a better way to deal with this, I spoke with
many people, that are drowning in pointless email, like weekly SPAM
reminders are really too much. One group I had a discussion with are
well aware of the problems of their FTB packages but have other
priorities and fix them when they get moments between the tidal waves.

For example the OLPC/sugar stuff I do I'm slowly, as I and they get
time, training others up on the packaging/Spin side of things,
upstream is moving towards python3 and everyone is aware of this and
the issues involved, but while we do this we now have hours of extra
work to do because a whole bunch of the packages have been ripped out
from under us in the process without proper notification if you happen
to miss an email to devel, or in some of the people I'm working with
aren't even on devel. PLEASE make it stop.... I'm actually considering
stopping most of my work in Fedora because it makes me way too anxious
to continue and that coming from me is something, I'd really hate to
think how many silent contributors we're losing from this.

Are you proposing to stop doing exactly what? Following policies? Having policies? Or is something that I personally am doing that I should stop? I gladly head proposals of how to make things better. But "PLEASE make it stop..." isn't really a constructive proposal.

I realize that getting constant notifications is overwhelming. But when we don't do that, people are angry about "unannounced" breakage.

--
Miro Hrončok