Re: Untag a build?

On 8/4/19 5:17 AM, Kevin Kofler wrote:

> Can this policy finally get reconsidered? "dnf distro-sync" (and "yum
> distro-sync" before it) has been available for years now. Is it really worth
> introducing an Epoch that we will then be stuck with forever, also in
> releases, just so that Rawhide users can upgrade with "dnf upgrade" rather
> than "dnf distro-sync"?

You're welcome to ask fesco to reconsider it.

That said, distro-sync is not ideal a lot of times. If you install
locally created packages to test something or fix a bug until a official
build is out, the distro-sync will move them all back to the ones in the
repos. I've also run into cases where distro-sync failed to update at
all due to broken deps, where update did work.

> I absolutely see the necessity of ensuring upgrade paths from release to
> release, and even from release to Rawhide (because it ensures that the
> upgrade path will work when Rawhide becomes a release), but from Rawhide to
> Rawhide, just WHY?

This was discussed in the last big thread on that, and the big thing (at
least to my mind) was that we don't want rawhide to be 'shifting sands'.
Right now if something lands you can be reasonably sure it will get
fixed for issues and that you can count on it being there for rebuilding
against. Sure, someone could do an Epoch and downgrade, but the
resistance to doing that is actually an advantage here. We don't want
people seeing a new build of something they depend on, rebuilding their
entire stack on it, only to have the package downgraded and causing them
tons of work. I think downgrading should be a decision not made lightly.

kevin