Re: Orphaned packages looking for new maintainers

On Mon, Aug 5, 2019 at 1:15 PM Mikolaj Izdebski <mizdebsk@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 5, 2019 at 12:07 PM Hans de Goede <hdegoede@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > In the extended version: https://churchyard.fedorapeople.org/orphans-2019-08-05.txt
> > I see that javapackages-tools is still on the list (because it depends on gradle)
> > and that in turn brings problems for lot of other packages.
> >
> > So I wonder what the plan forward is. I've been looking at my own packages
> > which depend on javapackages-tools and they really only need 2 things:
>
> From my side as owner of javapackages-tools the plan is to do nothing
> as there is no problem with javapackages-tools packages (that I know
> of). If at some point of time javapackages-tools becomes FTBFS or FTI
> due to gradle or another of its dependencies being retired, I will fix
> the problem in an adequate way.
>

> > 1) javapackages-filesystem
> > 2) %jpackage_script macro (and it deps)
> >
> > Looking at: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Java this is pretty much
> > the minimum set of what packages need to follow the guidelines. It seems that
> > javapackages-tools contains way more then this and I'm wondering if it would
> > be a good idea to do a javapackages-tools-minimal as a separate package and
> > move the 2 items from above there. Then over time we can move java-packages
> > in the base package set to use javapackages-tools-minimal and eventually drop
> > the full javapackages-tools from the base package set.
>
> I don't see any reason to add javapackages-tools-minimal or migrate
> any packages. If there are any issues with javapackages-tools then
> please open bugs and I will respond to them.

To clarify, the package that *does* depend on a number of orphans is
gradle, which also marks javapackages-tools and its sub-packages as
affected.
gradle is currently owned by the Stewardship SIG, but there is no
reason for us to "maintain" it indefinitely. In fact, the gradle
packaging is problematic in some ways:

- the version packaged by fedora (and every other distro building it
from source) is really outdated (4.4.1, released Dec 2017, vs. 5.5.1,
released July 2019)
- the build process is rather involved, and gradle currently can't
even build itself

Only about 10 "active" fedora packages are built with gradle, and they
could be ported to use maven instead. There's already some fedora
packages which are built with maven "downstream" instead of with the
upstream gradle build system - including junit5, testng, and
aqute-bnd.

So, I am currently preparing to drop gradle after f31 was branched
from rawhide (but keep it working in f31), unless somebody else steps
up to maintain gradle and the dozens of dependencies it pulls in. If /
when gradle support is eventually dropped, then we'll then have to
remove gradle-local from javapackages-tools as well (which is easy,
since that change already happened in modular branches).

Come to my flock talk if you want to hear more horror stories like this ;)
</shameless plug>

Fabio