Re: Fedora 31 Self-Contained Change proposal: Ship BerkleyDB backend as a module

On Wed, Jul 31, 2019 at 4:57 PM Stephen Gallagher <sgallagh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 23, 2019 at 8:45 AM Ben Cotton <bcotton@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/OpenLDAPwithBerkleyDBasModule
> >
> > == Summary ==
> > Change the ''openldap-servers'' package so that BDB and HDB backends
> > are required to be dynamically loaded.
> >
> > == Owner ==
> > * Name: [[User:mhonek| Matus Honek]]
> > * Email: mhonek (at) redhat (dot) com

> > == Upgrade/compatibility impact ==
> > Server using BDB or HDB backends without modified configuration would
> > fail to start. See ''User Experience'' section for more information.
> >

> Is this avoidable or do you consider it desirable? Is there any harm
> in shipping a default configuration that does the loadmodule for both
> deprecated backends?

The default configuration is shipped only when the package is newly
installed. Given the BDB/HDB should not be used there is no point in
pre-loading these in new instalments.

> My guess here is that you want this to be an explicit breakage to help
> users learn that the backend is no longer supported. If that's the
> case, I'd like to see that spelled out in the Change.

Correct. I thought this was put clearly but I sure can improve this.
Would be spelling this in Detailed Description section acceptable?

> Do any tools exist to simplify the conversion to MDB? Can this be automated?

I am not aware of any such tools. Numerous demands on upstream were
always responded with more-or-less what I put in the section
describing the conversion. If any errors are encountered during the
process they need to be understood and then fixed manually.

Automatic conversion would be far from trivial (and possibly
load-intensive depending on sizes). There are two types of
configuration (plaintext and "the more complicated one"). A server may
have several instances of backends. Each backend type has its own
configuration specifics (MDB being easier but still a "human guess"
should be made to configure the expected size of it). Not rarely users
put configuration into various locations which are not guessable
automatically at all. Additionally, users should ideally see the
possible errors during the process of conversion and verify the data
has not broken.

One relatively simple thing to provide would be a pre-run script that
would disallow running the slapd's systemd service if the
configuration contains BDB/HDB instances and the moduleload is not
present, writing into journal clearly what happened and what needs to
be done.

This is not to give reasons not to automate the process, rather
explain that understanding and thought needs to go into each
instalment's conversion(s).
--
Matúš Honěk
Software Engineer