Re: portable performance engineering

Benson Muite <benson_muite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Tradeoffs to satisfy a wide variety of users - a base system with most
> common software easy to try which can then be re-installed for
> performance. Flatpacks should help with easy but not performance
> optimal installation of many packages. Spack (https://spack.io/) may
> be a packaging approach that gives some performance portability - one
> can get a compilation recipie so that performance is reasonable
> good. Easybuild (https://easybuild.readthedocs.io) is another way to
> go. Source based systems such as Gentoo may give better performance if
> configured correctly.

That completely misses the point, apart from one about discouarging
packaging and contributing to Fedora maintenance.  Please assume that I
know plenty about alternative packaging systems like Spack, and
non-packaging systems like easybuild, which don't address the issue.  If
I want to rebuild rpms with different CFLAGS, obviously I can.  Flatpak
is irrelevant, but part of an unfortunate trend.  If you advocate a
solution, it better be capable of running in a manageable way across
many nodes of a potentially non-x86_64 heterogeneous HPC cluster.