Re: portable performance engineering

Tradeoffs to satisfy a wide variety of users - a base system with most common software easy to try which can then be re-installed for performance. Flatpacks should help with easy but not performance optimal installation of many packages. Spack (https://spack.io/) may be a packaging approach that gives some performance portability - one can get a compilation recipie so that performance is reasonable good. Easybuild (https://easybuild.readthedocs.io) is another way to go. Source based systems such as Gentoo may give better performance if configured correctly.