Re: Orphaned packages looking for new maintainers (75 to be retired)

On Fri, Jul 26, 2019 at 09:25:54AM -0700, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On 7/26/19 4:25 AM, Hans de Goede wrote:
> > Proposal to really fix this. We often say that people should not feel they
> > own a package, but that this is all a team effort, hence we also promote
> > co-maintainer ship, so I propose that:
> >
> > 1) We get rid of the concept of primary maintainer + co-maintainers, a
> > package
> > simple has 1-n maintainers, who are all equal.
>
> The reason we have a main admin/point of contact is because bugzilla
> makes us set one email address/account as assigned and the rest get CC'ed.
>
> That said, we could:
> * make a bugzilla user for every package named
> 'packagename-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'
> * assign bugs for that package to that user (no ccs)
>
> This would allow us to avoid a main admin/point of contact.
> On the other hand you couldn't tell from bugzilla what humans were
> behind that alias, which some people might dislike.

That's already the case today. For years now any libvirt related packages
have been owned by an alias "libvirt-maint@xxxxxxxxxx" to avoid having a
single real human get assigned every bug by default. Other groups have
done similar too.

If we can make that explicitly supported in Fedora, then the visibility
of alias -> list of real humans actually becomes easier. Currently
libvirt-maint is an opaque mailing alias, but if we have aliases
populated from the list of people against the package in pagure, then
there's a clear way to resolve the alias -> humans.

IOW, I'd very much welcome officially supported use of aliases for
ownership Fedora.

Regards,
Daniel