Re: Rolling out Phase I of rawhide package gating

On Wed, Jul 24, 2019 at 10:17:20AM +0200, Dan Horák wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Jul 2019 22:51:28 +0200
> Pierre-Yves Chibon <pingou@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Good Morning Everyone,
> >
> > TL;DR: On July 24th we will turn on the first phase of Rawhide
> > package gating, for single build updates.
> > In a later phase, Rawhide updates that contain multiple builds will
> > also be enabled for gating. Our goal is to improve our ability to
> > continuously turn out a useful Fedora OS. So we hope and expect to
> > get opt-in from as many Fedora package maintainers as possible,
> > including maintainers of the base OS. But this phase of gating
> > remains opt-in, and should not affect packagers who choose for now
> > not to opt in.
>
> What is your level of confidence about reliability of the whole process?
> How much baby-sitting from the maintainer will be required (for lost
> messages, crashed or stuck processes, etc)?

We have move the most significant pieces of the workflow from fedmsg to
fedora-messaging which should eliminate or drastically reduce the risk of lost
messages.
We have three pieces that are still fedmsg and that we are still working on
porting to fedora-messaging: the CI system itself, resultsdb-listener (uploads
results from CI into resultsdb) and robosignatory. All of which are actively
being worked on and should land in the coming weeks (hopefully days).

The process is pretty straight forward, so I am pretty confident in it. There
will be bugs (there always are) but I don't think we'll have that are actually
blocking the update process.

> How arch specific packages will be handled? I mean how s390x or ppc64le
> specific packages will be handled if the infra would be ready for
> x86_64 only?

I cannot answer for the CI system, maybe Dominik or Aleksandra can :)

Best,
Pierre