Re: Discussion around app retirements and categorizations by the CPE team

On 7/23/19 4:18 AM, Neal Gompa wrote:
Also, for $DAYJOB, I run a GitLab server. If you think maintaining a
GitLab server is easy, you have another think coming.

For what it's worth: I'm afraid I have to agree.  I've been running Gitlab for my employer for the last 18 months.  It's *incredibly* labor-intensive.  There are lots of bugs.  Things change in unexpected ways which creates a lot of user tickets. There's no published documentation on sharding, so scaling the application out is challenging.  Most of the UI functionality is async and queued in memory, and can be silently lost relatively easily.

Of course, I can see that running Gitlab probably requires fewer man-hours than developing a new product and then running that. But, it sounds like Fedora would need a lot of customization that upstream would not accept for integration, and the project would be on the hook for maintaining a fork in perpetuity anyway.