Re: Discussion around app retirements and categorizations by the CPE team

On ti, 23 heinä 2019, Michal Konecny wrote:

On 7/22/19 9:04 PM, Jeremy Cline wrote:
Sure, I don't think GitLab is perfect and it has its pain-points.
Working with upstream to make it better for all the communities using it
seems like a much better way to spend our collective time, though.

I totally agree, working on something that will help whole open source community will be much better and much more effective than working on project that is used by Fedora itself. It will also bring more support from open source community itself, because more people using it means more developers that want to work on it.

As I said already, my primary worry is where we would clash our needs
with those of GitLab commercial entity. For example, Kerberos
authentication or SAML SSO for groups, or push rule restrictions are
part of commercial offering but not available in the community edition.
This makes it harder to integrate with existing workflows and existing
dist-git use.
GitLab sees those features as enterprise ones and wants to sell them.
What does Fedora want to see?

--
/ Alexander Bokovoy
Sr. Principal Software Engineer