Re: Orphaning/retiring 3 Java packages

On 23. 07. 19 16:08, Mikolaj Izdebski wrote:
On Tue, Jul 23, 2019 at 1:50 PM Miro Hrončok <mhroncok@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 23. 07. 19 13:27, Mikolaj Izdebski wrote:
Soon after Fedora 31 branching I intend to retire java-packaging-howto
package and orphan byaccj and javapackages-tools packages. The reason
is that I intend to maintain these packages as part of modules.

I will continue to maintain non-modular packages through lifecycles of
Fedora 29-31, but starting from Fedora 32 I will maintain modular
versions only.

Do you realize that while your decision to move essential bits of Java packaging
to modules might untie your hands a lot, it is causing everybody else involved
more and more trouble?

Perhaps I don't realize the trouble, could you elaborate? I expect
orphaned packages to be adopted by someone, likely a member of
Stewardship SIG. These two packages are low-maintenance and don't
require much work - they don't have many upstream changes and don't
get many bugs reported. So I don't see that much trouble in this case.

And exactly the Stewardship SIG will need to maintain yet another package, that itself depends on others and others, the rabbit hole seems to have no end.

I acknowledge that it is your right to orphan essentially anything you want,
however the motivation here seems a bit... nonempathetic.

Would you mind to reconsider?

Definitely - this is the reason I wrote to the list. Do you have any
proposal what to do with these packages instead of orphaning them?

Keep maintaining them in normal Fedora until modular packages can be used in nonmodular builds? CCing contyk, he might have some news about that.

--
Miro Hrončok