Re: Fedora 32 System-Wide Change proposal: x86-64 micro-architecture update

On Mon, Jul 22, 2019 at 03:54:41PM -0400, Ben Cotton wrote:
> There are no stats available that could be considered defensible. At
> best, we could come up with some estimates based on the stats from
> other sources that we might assume have a similar profile as Fedora.
> I'm not sure if that data exists anywhere, though.

But without that data, as you put it, it's hard to come up with a
cost-benefit analysis.

One sorce of data is Steam's hardware survey.  Unfortunately they don't
include AVX2, but their most recent stats show that 88.6% of their
overall userbase has a CPU supporting AVX1.  Limiting that to Linux
users the number drops to 87.2%.

  https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/Steam-Hardware-Software-Survey-Welcome-to-Steam

> My main personal machine also lacks AVX2-capable hardware, so from a
> personal perspective, I'm not super keen on this change. I'm
> privileged enough to be able to upgrade my hardware if required, but I
> recognize that it's not a reasonable request for others.

If it was just a matter of one machine, that would be manageable, but
pretty much everyone who's spoken up here would be faced with having to
replace multiple systems all at once, or stop using Fedora altogether.

> I agree. It would be good to see some more specifics about what the
> benefit will be. That's the only way we can decide if it's worth the
> cost.

Honestly the proposal should have come with these benchmarks already,
especially since they'd already rebuilt Fedora with the new
flags...

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy			       pizza at shaftnet dot org
High Springs, FL                          ^^ (email/xmpp) ^^