Re: First experience with building a module: newbie queries

On 2019-07-20, Ankur Sinha <sanjay.ankur@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> 1. Why did that create 4 module build jobs for each stream?
>
> (ins)[asinha@ankur-pc  nest(2.18.0=3D)]$ fedpkg module-build
> Submitting the module build...
> The builds 5109, 5110, 5111 and 5112 were submitted to the MBS
> Build URLs:
> https://mbs.fedoraproject.org/module-build-service/2/module-builds/5109
> https://mbs.fedoraproject.org/module-build-service/2/module-builds/5110
> https://mbs.fedoraproject.org/module-build-service/2/module-builds/5111
> https://mbs.fedoraproject.org/module-build-service/2/module-builds/5112

Because your modulemd file contains:

    dependencies:
      - buildrequires:
            platform: [] # <- Build for all Fedora releases
        requires:
            platform: [] # <- Run on all Fedora releases

That means a Moduile Build Service (MBS) will spawn build for each
supported Fedora release (31, 30, etc.).

> 2. 1/4 build failed for each stream. How would I debug this?
> https://release-engineering.github.io/mbs-ui/module/5116
> https://release-engineering.github.io/mbs-ui/module/5109

I recomend you using MBS API directly. E.g.
<https://mbs.fedoraproject.org/module-build-service/2/module-builds/5116>
shows a module build for Fedora 28 ("platform" build-dependency stream
is "f28"). And shows that a Koji task #36370696 for
a module-build-macros package failed. In Koji
<https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=36370696> you can
see waitrepo subtask failed with:

    GenericError: Unsuccessfully waited 120:24 for a new
    module-nest-2.16.0-2820190720172353-9c690d0e-build repo

The reason is that Fedora 28 is not supported Fedora release anymore and
Koji does not create repositories for them anymore. Thus the just
built module-build-macros for Fedora 28 will never appear in Fedora 28
build repository and thus the waitrepo task times out.

MBS should not schedule builds for Fedora 28. This is a bug in Product
Definition Center datatabase probably. I requested fixing that
<https://pagure.io/releng/issue/8426> a month ago, but so for nobody
responded.

> 3. And finally: version 2.18.0 is already available in the repos (the
> platform?). So, did I mess up by requesting a stream for this version
> too? How do I make this the "default" module? File a FESCo ticket and so
> on?

I believe that it's not allowed to override a non-modular package by
a modular one in Fedora. I also believe that Fedora still does not
support having modules in non-modular build root repository.

If these assumptions are correct, you have two choices:

(1) Retire nest package in non-modular Fedora and make the 2.18.0 stream
    of the module a default one by submitting a pull request with the
    definition to <https://pagure.io/releng/fedora-module-defaults.git>.
    A drawback is that anybody who wanted to use nest for building his
    packages will have to modularize them first.

(2) Just don't create any default stream of the nest module. People will
    stil use the non-modular one. Those who needs a different version
    can enable a particular stream themselves on their systems. You also
    don't have to submit the 2.18.0 modular build to Bodhi if you do not
    want to maintain it in addition to the non-modular nest package.

-- Petr