Re: true or false: pkgconfig(foo) vs foo-devel

Remi Collet wrote:

> Le 18/07/2019 à 18:26, Nicolas Chauvet a écrit :
>>> "Build dependencies on Fedora packages which provide pkg-config files
>>> SHOULD be expressed
>>>  as pkgconfig(foo) and not foo-devel, whether the dependent package uses
>>>  pkg-config or not."
>>
>> This is true for the fast majority of cases. Specially where there is
>> only one provider of pkgconfig(foo).
>>
>> But sometime there is a need for a compat library and then I don't
>> know if my package may uses the main library of the compat one.
>> pkgconfig(foo) will pick one or the other, but using the package name
>> is more deterministic to me.
>>

> Indeed, pkgconfig(foo) start to raise issues when multiple providers
> exists.

I'd argue that should be a relatively (very?!?) rare case, and relying on
pkgconfig(foo) is still generally the more simple and safe approach.

Of course exceptions exist where you have "reasons(tm)" to do otherwise.

In short, IMO, the guidelines to recommend use of pkgconfig provides are
still good and valid.  Exceptional cases are simply that: exceptions, which
can do otherwise provided they document the rationale in the .spec file.

-- Rex

-- Rex