Re: Discussion around app retirements and categorizations by the CPE team

On 7/17/19 10:32 AM, Neal Gompa wrote:

> I don’t have a problem with you saying you can’t maintain everything
> and focusing on stuff *to* maintain. But I have been trying for
> *months* to try to help in various efforts as a member of the
> community. There’s very little I can do because there’s just simply no
> avenue for the community to be involved.

I'm pretty shocked that you say that, but obviously there's some
miscommunication going on, we should try and figure out how to fix it.

> I took over maintenance of the pagure package in Fedora and EPEL
> because pingou couldn’t keep up with it and everything else for this
> reason. In the process of that, I’ve become a contributor and try to
> help where I can.

Thats great, thanks!

> And I’ve had a standing offer open with abompard to co-maintain the
> Mailman 3 stack as soon as it landed in Fedora. It’s still valid, even
> today.

Yep. He has had no time to polish things up, get them working with
python3.7 and submit them. If you're willing you could ask him for the
python 3.4 based packages to try and bring up and get reviewed. I can't
speak for him of course.

> I’m happy to do the same for Ipsilon, and I’d even like to become a
> contributor once I’ve had a chance to get up to speed with it, like I
> did for Pagure.

Great!

> My frustration is that people who aren’t working at Red Hat have *no*
> avenue to help support the Project’s infrastructure. Granted, this
> isn’t exclusively a Fedora thing. CentOS has this problem, and
> openSUSE is worse, since all of their maintenance scripts are
> completely private behind a VPN that only SUSE employees have access
> to.

Thats... not the case. Or shouldn't be. I was in sysadmin-main (root on
all hosts) before I worked for Red Hat. For years. Others also joined
via the community and were later hired by Red Hat.

...snip...

I think there's several possible disconnects/issues around this.

Fedora Infrastructure has always been very 'self driven' for
contributions. We have had to be, due to the amount of time folks have
to help / mentor people. So we see this a lot:

Them: Hey! I want to help out with infrastructure!

us: awesome! we have added you to the apprentice group to login and look
around, please join our meetings, read our getting started guide, hang
out in our channels and ask questions or chime in when you see something
you want to help with, and look at our tickets. Welcome.

Them: <looks at things, wanders off because they aren't sure what to
work on or how to really do anything and don't want to ask>

The folks who have done well with this model just start working on
things, sending patches, asking on irc if they can help with X
specifically, etc. Thats not great for people who want to be assign
tasks or have a mentor.

Additionally, the model has been that new folks start out with things,
do them well then do more things and as they go they get perms to do
those things. Many people want to jump to the end. "I want to maintain
koji, give me access".

Finally, infrastructure isn't nearly as interesting as it used to be.
Many of the folks that would have been interested in helping are now off
looking at openshift and openstack and microservices and other more
exciting things.

Anyhow, if there are specific things you want to commit to helping with
or doing, let us know and we can try and get you able to do those
things. It's not a cabal. We would love to have the help.

kevin