Re: Fedora 31 System-Wide Change proposal (late): No i686 Repositories

On 7/14/19 2:27 PM, Neal Gompa wrote:

> Building library packages and making your own multilib repo is
> impossible without having both the i686 repo and the x86_64 repo, as
> you need to build for both and then munge them together for a multilib
> repo.

Sure. Do many people do that anymore?
> Historically, we really haven’t wanted people to pull from the Koji
> repo, and we probably still don’t want to do that, since it’s not
> mirrored and stressing it could cause more problems our already
> overtaxed build system environment.

I contend that the number of people who would want to do this is
miniscule and in the noise.

No one (sane) would start a 32bit app these days, so likely it's legacy
support. The cases I know of are steam and wine. I am sure there's 3rd
party items beyond that, but even rhel6 is going to go away soon, so
these folks are going to have to come up with some solution really soon.

>>From my point of view, I don’t think it’s worth getting rid of the
> 32-bit x86 repo until we’re at the point where people would not need
> to build their own multilib repositories. The cost of generating that
> for mirroring isn’t that high relative to the amount of pain we’ll
> cause for external folks trying to build off Fedora.

Fair enough. I see it as already at the time when there are very few of
thoese people and we can keep them going for a while by asking them to
use the koji buildroot repo.

> Think, for example, the repo that shall not be named. That project’s
> Koji instance pulls in Fedora through the mirrored content as an
> external source, which feeds its ability to do multilib builds.

Sure, they can repoint that to koji buildroot and keep going.

> I’m sorry, but I don’t see us getting rid of this for the foreseeable
> future without breaking virtually all of our downstreams.

Those few that need to be 32bit applications still. I really don't think
this is "all of our downstreams".

kevin