Re: Fedora 31 System-Wide Change proposal: Python means Python3

On Mon, Jul 1, 2019 at 9:02 PM Miro Hrončok <mhroncok@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 01. 07. 19 16:21, Peter Robinson wrote:

> >> We've been actively forbidding packagers doing that for more than a year.
> >> Most packages that still require /usr/bin/python are either:
> >>
> >>    * FTBFS since Fedora 28 (and I will make sure we follow the policy this time
> >> and finally kill those)
> >>
> >> or
> >>
> >>    * willingly workarounded by the packagers who tend to ignore all our
> >> recommendations (nothing we can really do here)
> >>
> >> Totally that is 10 runtime dependent packages and 64 buildtime.
> >>

> >> If we take away /usr/bin/python and "python" provide, those things won't resolve.
> >>
> >> If we change it to Python 3, some of them might work, most of them probably
> >> won't. Some of them are broken already (like
> >>
> >> $ (repoquery --repo=rawhide-source --whatrequires python; repoquery
> >> --repo=rawhide-source --whatrequires python-unversioned-command; repoquery
> >> --repo=rawhide-source --whatrequires /usr/bin/python) | pkgname | sort | uniq
> >> audit
> >> bibus
> >> bitfrost
> >> blitz
> >> claws-mail
> >> coan
> >> crun
> >> distro-info
> >> distro-info-data
> >> dracut-modules-olpc
> >> dtrx
> >> gcc
> >> gnome-python2-desktop
> >> graphite2
> >> grass
> >> gwebsockets
> >> htop
> >> hyperscan
> >> cherrytree
> >> chocolate-doom
> >> json4s
> >> kcov
> >> libclc
> >> libtaskotron
> >> liquidwar
> >> maxima
> >> mchange-commons
> >> mingw-qt5-qtdeclarative
> >> mingw-wine-gecko
> >> mongo-c-driver
> >> mozc
> >> offlineimap
> >> olpc-contents
> >> olpc-os-builder
> >> perl-Plack
> >> planner
> >> python-rospkg
> >> qtwebkit
> >> qt5-qtdeclarative
> >> sbt
> >> seamonkey
> >> sugar-base
> >> sugar-castle
> >> sugar-deducto
> >> sugar-flip
> >> sugar-jukebox
> >> sugar-kuku
> >> sugar-measure
> >> sugar-pippy
> >> sugar-srilanka
> >> sugar-starchart
> >> sugar-toolkit
> >> sugar-yupana
> >> swift-lang
> [...]

Do you cc: affected people on those? I was on PTO and traveling in the
window of the messages you link there so they probably got lost in the
million other devel@ and related emails, it's easy enough for them to
get lost if you don't have an explicit notification it's something you
should be paying attention too.

Peter