Re: Fedora 31 System-Wide Change proposal: Python means Python3

On 01. 07. 19 16:21, Peter Robinson wrote:
On Fri, Jun 28, 2019 at 2:34 AM Miro Hrončok <mhroncok@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 28. 06. 19 0:51, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:

On Thu, 27 Jun 2019 at 18:49, Neal Gompa <ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx
<mailto:ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

      > What about postponing this change to F32? I'd prefer python2 to be
      > retired and gone from the distro first, and the symlink and
      > %python_provide definition only switched then. I think that having
      > this middle state where python2 is available but python points to
      > python3 for exactly one release will be more confusing that switching
      > directly to the final state where python2 is gone and python simply
      > means python3.

     I think it makes sense to make the switch before we retire, because
     then people's expectations are changed ahead of time and they can
     adapt to The Future(TM).

Actually I think it makes more sense that F31 provides no /usr/bin/python. Then
a lot of things which depend on it can be found and fixed since they have not
adapted to the Future any other way.

We've been actively forbidding packagers doing that for more than a year.
Most packages that still require /usr/bin/python are either:

   * FTBFS since Fedora 28 (and I will make sure we follow the policy this time
and finally kill those)

or

   * willingly workarounded by the packagers who tend to ignore all our
recommendations (nothing we can really do here)

Totally that is 10 runtime dependent packages and 64 buildtime.

If we take away /usr/bin/python and "python" provide, those things won't resolve.

If we change it to Python 3, some of them might work, most of them probably
won't. Some of them are broken already (like

$ (repoquery --repo=rawhide-source --whatrequires python; repoquery
--repo=rawhide-source --whatrequires python-unversioned-command; repoquery
--repo=rawhide-source --whatrequires /usr/bin/python) | pkgname | sort | uniq
audit
bibus
bitfrost
blitz
claws-mail
coan
crun
distro-info
distro-info-data
dracut-modules-olpc
dtrx
gcc
gnome-python2-desktop
graphite2
grass
gwebsockets
htop
hyperscan
cherrytree
chocolate-doom
json4s
kcov
libclc
libtaskotron
liquidwar
maxima
mchange-commons
mingw-qt5-qtdeclarative
mingw-wine-gecko
mongo-c-driver
mozc
offlineimap
olpc-contents
olpc-os-builder
perl-Plack
planner
python-rospkg
qtwebkit
qt5-qtdeclarative
sbt
seamonkey
sugar-base
sugar-castle
sugar-deducto
sugar-flip
sugar-jukebox
sugar-kuku
sugar-measure
sugar-pippy
sugar-srilanka
sugar-starchart
sugar-toolkit
sugar-yupana
swift-lang
tarantool
termy-qt
twitter-twemoji-fonts
uboot-tools
udis86
vdsm
vte
wesnoth
wine-mono
0ad

$ (repoquery --repo=rawhide --whatrequires python; repoquery --repo=rawhide
--whatrequires python-unversioned-command; repoquery --repo=rawhide
--whatrequires /usr/bin/python) | pkgname | sort | uniq
gwebsockets
icaro
pyqt-mail-checker
qct
redhat-lsb-languages
resiprocate-turn-server-psql
sugar
sugar-toolkit
vdsm
vdsm-yajsonrpc

I fixed the following up:
uboot-tools
gnome-python2-desktop
gwebsockets
sugar
sugar-base
sugar-castle
sugar-deducto
sugar-flip
sugar-jukebox
sugar-kuku
sugar-measure
sugar-pippy
sugar-srilanka
sugar-starchart
sugar-toolkit
sugar-yupana

Thanks.

The following are FTB due to someone retiring Pyrex out from under
them without notifying me (there's been a number of py2 packages that
have had that happen) so they're going to take a bit longer.
bitfrost
dracut-modules-olpc
olpc-contents
olpc-os-builder