Re: always update the bootloader during major upgrades

Le vendredi 28 juin 2019 à 09:06 -0700, Adam Williamson a écrit :
> On Fri, 2019-06-28 at 09:18 +0200, Nicolas Mailhot via devel wrote:
> > That's, easy,
> >
> > 1. add a generic bootctl install command that knows the different
> > variants of bootloader used in Fedora, how to install them, how to
> > identify which variant is appropriate for a system (make grub and
> > other
> > bootloaders packages install the corresponding info in a directory
> > read
> > by this command)
>
> I am not sure you quite understand the meaning of the word "easy". :P

It's the same core logic that already exists in anaconda, and in the
envisionned dist upgrade, except packaged in a sane reusable easy to
test unit.

Packaging it sanely does not make the core logic simpler sure, but it
removes the mass of problems caused by bootloader installations
happening in multiple badly defined in-between gray dimensions, without
any tracking of what was effectively done in the past.

And the core logic need to be maintained in any case.

So yes, I do believe that quick and dirty is more difficult in the long
run.

--
Nicolas Mailhot