Re: Modularity vs. libgit

On Mon, Jun 17, 2019 at 8:59 PM Terry Bowling <tbowling@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Oh, I forgot to add that related to parallel installations, when conflicting modules are desired, generally containerization or virtualization is the recommended solution.  However, this is from the RHEL user persona perspective.  We realize that is a very different user persona from say a developer working in Fedora Rawhide.

Every once in a while someone will accuse Red Hat of using Fedora as a
test bed for RHEL, and someone else will insist that despite Red Hat
being a (the?) major sponsor of the project it is still a community
project. But that kind of explanation can only reinforce the test bed
idea.

I don't want to prevent Red Hat from serving their customers better,
otherwise I would be shooting myself in the foot considering that for
$DAYJOB I deal with customers running RHEL or derivatives. And one
reason why I chose Fedora (over say, Ubuntu) for my personal use is
because I felt more comfortable on RHEL systems than on Debian
derivatives on previous jobs, and looking at other distribution models
(Gentoo, Slackware, Arch...) I didn't find enough appeal.

But if Fedora is not a test bed, and yet RHEL is downstream of Fedora,
RHEL could have implemented its modularity without forcing it onto
Fedora. And the worst part for me is that it was obvious from the
start that we would run into that kind of problems because Fedora has
a strong anti-bundling policy (which I personally approve) and "leaf"
packages eventually indirectly conflict because of dependencies.

I don't know RHEL policies, but Red Hat could certainly allow some
form of bundling to avoid module conflicts and not drag Fedora into a
modularity "mess" that is incompatible with its Four principles. But I
guess that ship has sailed and now it's too late...

Dridi