Re: C++ help needed fixing VXL on 32 bit architectures

Hi John,

On Mon, May 27, 2019 16:57:18 -0700, John Reiser wrote:
> > https://github.com/vxl/vxl/issues/638
>
> Independent of that particular issue, it is hard to believe the claim
> "vxl: A multi-platform collection of C++ software libraries ...".
> They're not making a good-faith effort to be portable.

From what I've seen, VXL seems to be one of those libraries that was
written long long ago and has for most of its life cycle been in
"maintenance mode" to somehow keep it running. For example, my PR to
version the shared objects was only merged last week (!), and the super
spammy nightly commit bot is still active:

https://github.com/vxl/vxl/issues/624
https://github.com/vxl/vxl/pull/626
https://github.com/vxl/vxl/issues/97

Most of this is probably because the core dev community is extremely
stretched.  They don't have the cycles to make required updates, which,
for example, is why VXL still uses a dcmtk version from 2002 (and we
have no choice but to bundle it):
https://github.com/vxl/vxl/issues/550

So, if you do have the time, please file these issues (or PRs if you
have even more time). That'll at least make them aware of them and maybe
it'll encourage others to help the dev team too.

I'd like to look into all of this, but as soon as I get VXL built, I've
got to work on all the tools that depend on it and are currently broken
also.

--
Thanks,
Regards,