Re: Using SCLs to build a C++ library for EL 7?

On Mon, 29 Apr 2019 at 07:51, Dan Čermák <dan.cermak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi list,

I'm co-maintaining a C++ library that has been continuously updated in
CentOS 7 but a recent change made it incompatible with the default GCC
version available in el7. I.e. the next release (scheduled for the end
of 2019) will FTBFS in CentOS/RHEL 7.

I think this question should be more aimed at the epel-devel list versus the fedora devel list.. EPEL does allow for SCL's to be used for building packages but not for requiring it to be installed.

Would it be fine to require a gcc version from a SCL to build this
library? I'm afraid that due to the nature of C++'s non-standardized ABI
it would require all dependent packages to be rebuild with gcc from the
SCL too.

Will bow to what Neal and others say on this part.

Cheers,

Dan

Stephen J Smoogen.