Re: Can we maybe reduce the set of packages we install by default a bit?

On Mi, 17.04.19 11:29, Japheth Cleaver (cleaver@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> On 4/17/2019 10:36 AM, Lennart Poettering wrote:

> > > I'd really like to see it start much earlier. Any way to make that
> > > happen?
> > Well, no. I mean, the only way you can do that is by turning rngd into
> > its own init system, if you want it to run before the init
> > system.
>
> This seems like a false dichotomy, no? Surely, things like this are a
> possibility:
> https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2010-September/000225.html

That too means the service gets started after the init system is up,
and the init system already requires entropy, so it's pointless.

> But beyond that, is there really no way to lift this earlier in the boot
> logic?

Sure, you can invoke rngd before systemd, in which case it would have
to be able to run as PID 1 itself pretty much and then hand over
things.

But why do that in userspace at all? the "Trust CPU RNG" kernel
compile time option shows that these things are trivial to solve if
people just want to. Instead of involving rngd at all, why not add a
similar option for the TPM RNG (or any other non-CPU hw rng) and then
rngd doesn't do anything useful anymore whatsoever? I mean, to my
knowledge all those other RNGs already feed into the pool anyway, they
just don't get trusted and thus don't add to the entropy
estimate. Fixing that should be quite doable and given that
CONFIG_RANDOM_TRUST_CPU exists now it shouldn't be politically too
hard to argue for a CONFIG_RANDOM_TRUST_TPM either...

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Berlin