Re: Can we maybe reduce the set of packages we install by default a bit?

On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 11:36 AM Lennart Poettering
<mzerqung@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Yeah, all that stuff is stuff the kernel could do better on its
> own. If the CPU jitter stuff or the TPM stuff is a good idea, then why
> not add that to the kernel natively, why involve userspace with that?
> i.e. if the TPM and the CPU jitter stuff can be trusted, then the same
> thing as for CONFIG_RANDOM_TRUST_CPU=y should be done: pass the random
> data into the pool directly inside in the kernel.

$ grep CONFIG_HW_RANDOM_TPM /boot/config-5.0.6-300.fc30.x86_64
CONFIG_HW_RANDOM_TPM=y

I've got no idea if this is for TPM 1.x or 2.x or both.

> Well, no. I mean, the only way you can do that is by turning rngd into
> its own init system, if you want it to run before the init
> system.

/usr/lib/systemd/system/rngd.service contains

WantedBy=multi-user.target

I'm gonna guess Steve Grubb is wondering whether it could be wanted by
an earlier target, possibly cryptsetup-pre.target? I don't see a
service file in the upstream project so this may have been selected by
the Fedora packager as a known to work option.

--
Chris Murphy