Re: fedora-img-dl: a tool for downloading Fedora iso's and images

On Tue, Apr 16, 2019 at 02:05:40PM -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Tue, 2019-04-16 at 21:55 +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:

> > > I already basically wrote this:
> > >
> > > https://pagure.io/fedora-qa/fedfind
> > >
> > > it has a lot more capabilities, and is used quite heavily in various
> > > tools and processes the QA team uses.
> >
> > Well I can go one better here and say there's a way to *not* download
> > the ISOs :-)
> >
> > https://rwmj.wordpress.com/2019/04/13/virt-install-nbdkit-live-install/#content
>
> But you still need to know where the ISO you want to use *is*, which
> fedfind can help you with ;)

Absolutely :-) There's also the question Chris Murphy asked on that
posting about whether in fact it actually downloads the whole ISO
anyway (because of the way our ISOs contain a squashfs containing an
ext4 image[1]).

If we did go for lazy downloading this would be an opportunity to use
a format which is more attuned to this purpose.  And it could also
contain much more content, since it would only be downloaded on
demand.

There are some sites which let you PXE boot Linux distros over the
internet (https://netboot.xyz/ being the most notable).  I have a
vision that we could do this officially for Fedora one day, so you
could entirely try out Fedora without any download or local install
(until you decided you want to perform the local install).

Of course I have already written the nbdkit plugin for this too ...

  https://rwmj.wordpress.com/2019/02/19/nbdkit-linuxdisk-plugin/#content

Rich.

[1] https://rwmj.wordpress.com/2009/07/15/unpack-the-russian-doll-of-a-f11-live-cd/