Re: Can we maybe reduce the set of packages we install by default a bit?

On Fri, Apr 12, 2019, at 7:13 AM, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Fr, 12.04.19 11:35, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski
> (dominik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
>
> > > Interestingly I think Google Chrome needs this when it installs,
> > > though it seems nonsensical to me. (Chrome is installed by about 50%
> > > of our users given some informal stats, so writing it off would be
> > > shooting ourselves in the foot.) That's something the Workstation
> > > folks may want to work with them to fix in a more systemd-ish way.
> >
> > Chrome doesn't require atd explicitly (nor is it pulled in by any of its
> > dependencies).
> >
> > It does use it in %post to sneak in a cron job to to add a repo config
> > file and its GPG key trust behind your back:
> >
> > service atd start
> > echo "sh /etc/cron.daily/google-chrome" | at now + 2 minute > /dev/null 2>&1
> >
> > So, actually not having atd installed won't break Chrome as it will
> > just ignore the 'at' command execution error due to 'exit 0' a few
> > lines below it.
>
> Just out of curiosity, why does a web browser need a daily chrome job?

Chrome needs a cron job kept in time with chrony of course!

I am not 100% certain on this but I am pretty sure it's because of RPM and GPG.
librpm stores the keys in the rpmdb, and it's not supported to import the keys during a "transaction".

Whereas at least libdnf uses /etc/pki/rpm-gpg and imports the keys before doing anything else; see also
https://github.com/rpm-software-management/libdnf/issues/43

But I think Chrome is trying to support multiple librpm-based tools with a single package.
The model of "add a repository with GPG key" is not really standardized across rpm-based distributions.