Re: Can we maybe reduce the set of packages we install by default a bit?

On Tue, Apr 9, 2019 at 12:07 PM Lennart Poettering <mzerqung@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[...]
> Can we maybe reduce the default set of packages a bit? In particular
> the following ones I really don't think should be in our default
> install:

Although somewhat orthogonal to your notes below, overall there's a
lot of package-entangling in the basic platform underlying the
Workstation as well. This is something we should look at if we're to
make progress in CI and Lifecycle objectives -- i.e. being able to
produce basic platform for integration more quickly. I was talking to
contyk about this the other day and we are starting to throw some
ideas around about that. Again, doesn't solve all your individual
concerns below but at least related. A good portion of the other
subthread is really about choices made and how we enable bits properly
for something like Workstation, which is also valid but a different
effort I think.

[...]
> 3. atd? Do we still need that? Do we have postinst scripts that need
>    this? If so, wouldn't systemd-run be a better approach for those?
>    Isn't it time to make this an RPM people install if they want it?

Interestingly I think Google Chrome needs this when it installs,
though it seems nonsensical to me. (Chrome is installed by about 50%
of our users given some informal stats, so writing it off would be
shooting ourselves in the foot.) That's something the Workstation
folks may want to work with them to fix in a more systemd-ish way.

--
Paul