Re: Can we maybe reduce the set of packages we install by default a bit?

On Do, 11.04.19 20:49, Steve Grubb (sgrubb@xxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> > > I run a bunch of background jobs like harvesting podcasts that are
> > > released weekly, collecting weather stats for my garden watering
> > > system, monitoring my power feed and UPS, collecting ADSB  data,
> > > etc. I don't think of those as 'system' services, so I run them in
> > > my own cron jobs. The system works well because even if my system
> > > reboots on a power glitch, or my session crashes, the jobs still
> > > run--but in the systemd world it wouldn't work.
> >
> > Why would't they? If you want to to run your own stuff independent of
> > you being logged in then do "loginctl set-linger" on your user and
> > it's done.
>
> Was this the privileged operation? What privilege does it require? I
> just run the command as a non-admin user and saw no errors or prompts
> for passwords or anything.

It uses PolicyKit, like most of the system level services that need to
authenticate clients. Hence, not sure what your local configuration of
PolicyKit is, but iirc it allows users in "wheel" to do a lot of stuff
without password. We require "auth_admin_keep" from pk for the action
of enabling lingering.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Berlin