Re: Can we maybe reduce the set of packages we install by default a bit?

On Thu, Apr 11, 2019 at 12:48:13PM -0400, Colin Walters wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 9, 2019, at 12:07 PM, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> > Heya,
> >
> > today I installed the current Fedora 30 Workstation beta on my new
> > laptop. It was a bumpy ride, I must say (the partitioner (blivet?)
> > crashed five times or so on me, always kicking me out of anaconda
> > again, just because I wanted to undo something). But I don't really
> > want to discuss that. What I do want to discuss is this:
> >
> > Can we maybe reduce the default set of packages a bit?
>
> The dependency chain of libvirtd is just doomed from this perspective.

This is a rather sweeping inaccurate statement IMHO.

The scale of the dependancies you get from installing libvirt varies
significantly depending on which libvirt RPMs you choose to install
or depend on. There's quite alot of modularization there if you pick
the right sub-RPMs to minimize install footprint. In addition some
of the footprint you get when installing libvirt is actually coming
from QEMU itself.

eg starting from the fedora:30 docker image

* "libvirt-daemon-driver-qemu"

  The bare minimum currently needed by the libvirt QEMU driver impl.

  56 RPMs / 100 MB

* "libvirt-daemon-kvm"

  All functionality usable in combination with libvirt and KVM. Also
  pulls in the qemu-system-XXXX to match your host arch.

  300 RPMs / 430 MB

  Of this, 211 RPMs / 300 MB is due to qemu-system-x86 & qemu-img
  RPMs, rather than libvirt itself. So real libvirt overhead here
  is only 90 RPMs / 120 MB

* "libvirt-daemon-qemu"

  All functionality usable in combination with libvirt and QEMU (any
  arch emulation). Pulls in every qemu-system-XXX RPM

  350 RPMs / 1 GB

                          (The extra delta here is really coming from
			   QEMU not libvirt itself)

The first libvirt-daemon-driver-qemu RPM should in fact be even smaller
than it is, but we have an accidental dependancy between two parts of
libvirt codebase. This will be addressed in F31.

Regards,
Daniel