Re: [PSA] %meson contains -Db_ndebug=true

On Mon, Apr 8, 2019 at 3:17 PM <mcatanzaro@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 8, 2019 at 5:50 AM, Kalev Lember <kalevlember@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > I agree as well. Please don't override -Db_ndebug in distro-wide
> > %meson
> > macro and instead move the override to mesa packaging if it's needed
> > there.
>
> Well hold up. -Db_ndebug defaults to if-release... right? We have only

That's not how I read it:
https://github.com/mesonbuild/meson/blob/master/docs/markdown/Builtin-options.md#base-options
-DB-ndebug defaults to false.

> changed the behavior for plain builds (distro builds) to match release
> builds? So any package that has ever tested a release build would
> already know to expect assertions to be disabled, and the only broken
> packages are those that have never tested a release build?

Packages built previously were tested against the default build system
and their test suite that catches the assert were passing. With the
-DB-ndebug changed to true, those same tests were failing.

> I see three options:
>
>  - Plain builds should match the behavior of release builds, and Fedora
> plain builds should match the behavior of upstream plain builds. This
> is what we briefly had but just reverted. (Option one)
>
>  - Upstream plain builds should be really completely plain. Fedora can
> either add on -Db_ndebug=true or not (options two and three). This
> makes less sense to me because -Db_ndebug is really special, not like
> other compiler flags.
>
> I don't think it's right to say "NDEBUG should be off by default
> because that's how it is with Autotools" since we're not Autotools
> anymore, we should decide something that makes sense for meson, based
> on meson semantics and meson expectations and in coordination with
> meson upstream. E.g. I see you (Igor) reverted the RPM macro change,
> but that was just the bandaid over the default behavior of if-release,
> which is actually still changed, right? It's unclear to me what the
> default value of -Db_ndebug is due to underdocumentation, but if it's
> if-release then this change is just going to reappear again in the next
> version of meson, right?

Again, this setting should be set per project, so reverting the change
was the right call IMO.

The default value is documented in the markdown file above and the
actual code is at
https://github.com/mesonbuild/meson/blob/master/mesonbuild/compilers/compilers.py#L399-L400
So definitively, defaults is `false` and the next meson release will
not change this as of today.

Cheers,
Benjamin