Re: Modularity question for packagers about rolling/latest/stable/master streams

On Thu, Apr 04, 2019 at 09:24:13AM -0400, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 3, 2019 at 11:46 AM Adam Samalik <asamalik@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Some modules now use "latest", "stable", or "master" as stream names for various different things. It's quite confusing and I want to fix that.
> >
> > Without naming them, I see two different use cases:
> >
> > 1/ "for end users" — rolling stream meant for end users to consume, likely used in projects without traditional versioning scheme, or for the latest version that the Fedora's "cutting edge but not bleeding edge"
>
> Many golang packages do not do traditional releases, but instead
> generally assume that the user will pull the latest git master branch
> and use that. Since upstream intends that usage, I think it falls into
> this category.
>
> > 2/ "for hackers/preview" — pre-release or development builds not meant for end users to use in production, but mostly for preview, experiments, or for people who like to live dangerously
>
> I think a potential example in this case might be GNOME. I could
> absolutely see the GNOME project maintaining a module stream that
> always included the most recent upstream release (including
> development milestones like 3.33.90).

virt-preview might be another example (it's actually a copr at the
moment, not a module).  The idea behind it is to bundle up the
bleeding edge of all the virt packages like qemu and virt-manager so
people can try them before they go into a stable Fedora.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Virtualization_Preview_Repository

Rich.