Re: Modularity question for packagers about rolling/latest/stable/master streams

On Thu, Apr 04, 2019 at 09:25:36AM -0400, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
> > > So the question is, do people agree there are two? Or just one? Or more?
> > Upstreams aren't consistent. There's a good argument for making our branches
> > match the pratices of upstreams -- but when two different upstreams think
> > different things are right, how do we make that consistent?
> Can you expand on what you mean by "upstreams aren't consistent"? I
> think that's the specific problem we're trying to address here: figure
> out what the common cases are and optimize for those. I personally
> think there are two such common examples (and I posted some of them
> just now).

I mean: if we decide that there are two major use cases (or three, or
whatever) and come up with names for them, those names will probably
conflict with some upstreams' ideas for what those names mean.

So there's a decision point between

a) following upstream conventions

 or

b) having a consistent Fedora naming scheme.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>