Re: pkgconfig usage

On Thu, Mar 28, 2019 at 12:08 AM Luya Tshimbalanga
<luya@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 2019-03-26 10:07 a.m., Georg Sauthoff wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > when packaging a C/C++ program, the rpm automatic dependency feature
> > usually works well for shared libraries.
> >
> > That mean when program 'bar' needs libfoo-devel at build time it's
> > sufficient to add
> >
> >     BuildRequires: libfoo-devel
> >
> > and I can omit
> >
> >     Requires: libfoo
> >
> > because rpm automatically adds something like:
> >
> >     libfoo.so.1()(64bit)
> >
> > Of course, I could still add a superfluous
> >
> >     Requires: libfoo
> >
> > and then the resulting binary package would contain a redundant
> > dependency like this:
> >
> >     libfoo
> >     libfoo.so.1()(64bit)
> >
> > Has Fedora a policy against such redundant dependencies?
> >
> > Best regards
> > Georg
>
> Sightly related to the topic, is there an effective way to use
> pkgconfig(foo) for packages rather foo-devel?  It seems very few
> packages use that method.

I use the 'pkgconfig(foo)' style dependencies for BuildRequires in all
of my packages, where possible. I found that it's more robust,
especially when there are compat versions of libraries involved.

Since most of the projects that I maintain use either CMake (with
PkgConfig module) or meson, it's really easy to look up the names of
the required pkgconfig modules for the dependencies by just looking at
the upstream project's build system.

Fabio